Sunday, June 07, 2009

Fast Approaching


I've been in Panama for a few weeks over four months, and I leave in 32 days. That's just four more weekends before I'm back in Mac. Crazy! And it's difficult to say how I feel about that. I love it here in Panama, and I definitely plan on coming back, hopefully repeatedly and for more extended periods of time. I want to master Spanish. And I have made friends here, who I will miss terribly when I get home, just as much as I am right now missing my friends back in Oregon. I have changed a bit since February. Definitely. Like, my hair is way longer and I'm ridiculously tan. I also have at least one foot standing in another language, I can fry plantain bananas, I have seen crazy wild bugs, woken up to the sound of howler monkeys, bought strange fruit from street vendors, chatted for hours on MSN Messenger in Spanish, lived within walking distance of a big-deal landmark (Panama Canal), worn a ridiculous school uniform, learned to salsa dance, seen a lot of stray dogs, caught an enormous toad in a plastic bag, been fascinated by ant highways, discovered that cashew nuts come from a tree called 'maraƱon', pulled mangoes right off the tree with a long pole, picked up crazy shells off the beach, explored a centuries-old fort and been freaked out by a tailless whip scorpion, and, um, lots of other exciting stuff! Holy cow! And I still have another month. :) I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.

I will be happy to be home next month, though. I miss you guys!

1 comment:

-m said...

I'm really glad we'll get to see you in your new native habitat before you come back home!! Can't wait!