Thursday, July 08, 2010

Mysterious Fruit and Panajachel with Irish People

*UPDATE: This fruit seems to be a passion fruit!


Above is the mysterious fruit I purchased in the supermarket the other day (the same place and day I got those freak bananas!) I thought it was labeled "Asian pear" but Hannah tells me I was reading the wrong label, so while we knew it was definitely not an Asian pear anyway, it also was not mislabeled, I'm just a dork. Anyway, if any of you know what it is, do tell! It was yummy.


Right here is some proof that Hannah is capable of cooking! She's been helping me out with cooking meals and I abandoned her for the past few days while I was in Panajachel with a team and she was stuck in the city and had to fend for herself. Sounds like she did pretty well, though, and it's not like we're cooking anything fancy but, you know, it's food.

So, on Monday peeps in the office told me I was leaving the next day with a field coordinator to meet a build team from Ireland who were supposed to have come in a day or two earlier but had gotten stuck in Spain and then had to spend the night on the marble floors of the Mexico City Airport.
We picked them up in the morning on Tuesday and they were all in good humor, excited to be in Guatemala, ready to head out. They use words like "thanky" and "bloke", and my personal favorite, "wee".
Their accents can be pretty hard to understand, at first it was harder to understand than Spanish. One man had a particularly strong accent (he also speaks Gaelic, apparently, but I think that's unrelated). Anyway, I had a great time with them and in Panajachel. Panajachel is a big tourist spot as it's right by a lake.
Here are some pictures from the work site I was at:



Here is a familiar plant I found at the work site in Panajachel: Plantain! Not the banana kind, the... other kind. I hadn't seen it elsewhere in Guatemala, but here is a somewhat trampled specimen.

And here is a picture taken from the lakefront in Panajachel:

No comments: