Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Work Hard, and we'll buy you a nice coffin with your own money when the time comes.

I believe that hard work can do good things for the person working hard. It can do good things for the hard worker's family, community, and other things in the person's environment. I feel pretty safe in saying that the actions represented by the term "hard work" can work towards good results. But hard work does not automatically imply good things, good defined as beneficial to the person, community, and environment.

After all, I bet the nazis worked pretty damn hard on their project.

Last September the entire student body of my high school was called into the gym for an assembly on this year's new "P.O.W.E.R" program, an acronym-based motivational plan put together by the school administrators or somebody. I really don't think the posters, t-shirts, teams, and assemblies reminding us of this program have done much. I mean, I was never entirely clear on what the administration hoped to achieve in the first place.
Anyway, it bugged me when I noticed that all of the depictions of "Success" involved men... in suits. Wtf?

On that note, I have homework to do. Har har har. I'll blawg more later, possibly about school.

No comments: