Friday, April 09, 2010

Yeah, I run barefoot. I'm cool.


In fact, I'm amazing! Or at least my body is.... But, in truth, I have discovered another important thing for myself to share: I was born to run barefoot. And then, more broadly, we were all born to run barefoot.

Now, hey, I ran track. I own fancy schmancy shoes. Professionals have to wear shoes, or they'd hurt themselves!

Right?

I think not!
If humans are animals (which they are) and other animals do not wear shoes (or, really, any clothes at all, although other-than-humans are better at sticking to their own natural habitat where whatever fur they have is perfect) and other animals run (I've seen it happen!), we humans don't need shoes! Whoa! Locura!

I've done a little research, and found that there are many communities, gathering online and off, of people who run sans shoesies. A lot of them are into barefoot racing and barefoot marathons, which I'm not ready for or even particularly interested in these days, but their words are clear: barefoot is the way to go.

I've been running with my buddy for the last month or so, never even thinking of leaving the house without my running shoes up until this last week, when I took them off before we hit the trail at the local park. I've been pretty happy with running at the park for starters, since the uneven ground and general forested atmosphere make me feel more like I'm running for fun and adventure and less like a rodent in a hamster wheel (although I'm sure hamster wheels have their merits... when you are a caged rodent).

When I run barefoot, I strike the ground with the ball of my foot. I can feel the ground: more specifically, I feel what the ground is composed of. This is important. Yes. And as I move forward the shock of impact goes unfelt in my legs and I ease my foot down, my heel barely brushing the ground. Then I spring back up, and KAPOW! I like that word.

I have learned that I am, in fact, contrary to popular belief, running correctly. My body is put together in such a way that sensitive nerves on the bottom of my feet, the bit between the ball and the heel, make ground-slapping gaits painful for a reason: I am not meant to run that way. The balls of my feet, however, are perfectly adapted to hit the ground and spring me forward. And sure, I have to look at where I'm running so I don't step on anything sharp, but guess what? Callouses aren't ugly in my book, and eye/foot coordination ain't a bad thing to develop.

Running barefoot I do not tire as I do running shod. Barefoot, I feel a connection with my running space. Without shoes, I am a runner. I truly run. I feel like a deer.

I recommend ditching your shoes next time you feel like running. You may find that you feel more like running once you try it barefoot! I don't know! But it's fantastic. Don't step on broken glass. Befriend the ground you're galloping across.

No comments: