Wednesday, February 11, 2009

no me gusta hormigas en mi cama, gracias.

Hi, guys. I'm still alive, even though ants moved into my bed last night and I had to fight them off for almost an hour before I could go to sleep. I don't know what they were after, but several hundred met their doom. For a kid who used to start fights with kids who stepped on ants, I killed a lot of ants last night. They're the teeny tiny biting kind, and, what can I say, they were not welcome in my bed.
I just waited an hour for one single photograph to upload onto here to show you guys, but it hasn't gotten anywhere, so I'm afraid you will have to imagine a large green leaf being cut up by long-legged red leafcutter ants on the sidewalk when I went on a walk earlier today. Sigh.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Hi Ana -- There was a PBS program a few years ago titled "The Little Creatures That Rule the Earth". You can guess what it was about. May as well get used to the truth of it, puny human, ants own this planet.

In 1981 Kathy Elliott and I pitched a tent in the jungle in Belize and zipped up tight to keep the mosquitoes out. But at 2 a.m. we were awakened by a rustling sound near our heads and discovered tens of thousands of tiny ants had come through the tiniest gap where the three tent door zippers came together. They were determined to haul an entire box of cookies back out the same hole, one crumb at a time.

Edward O. Wilson, an expert on ants, is properly credited with igniting the modern flurry of research in evolutionary psychology. His observations of sophisticated social behaviors in ants compelled him to ask questions about how much behavior in other creatures, including us, is hardwired, if so much information could be written on the tiny chip that ants run on.
TN